Advertisement
HomeNainitalMan Declared Minor, Freed After 13 Years in Jail by Uttarakhand High...

Man Declared Minor, Freed After 13 Years in Jail by Uttarakhand High Court

spot_img

NAINITAL: In a remarkable legal decision, the Uttarakhand High Court has ordered the immediate release of a prisoner who had spent more than thirteen years behind bars, after determining that he was a juvenile at the time of the crime. The court’s ruling came after a careful reassessment of age evidence and application of provisions under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act.

Our correspondent reports that the convict, originally sentenced to life imprisonment in connection with a 2003 murder and attempted robbery case, had been serving his sentence since a trial court conviction in Roorkee. The case had been upheld by the High Court in 2013 and later by the Supreme Court. However, developments in 2021 changed the course of his incarceration.

According to court records, the prisoner filed an application from jail in 2021 claiming that on the date of the offence — June 24, 2003 — he was a minor. To verify this claim, the High Court ordered a detailed inquiry by the Registrar (Judicial), who examined school records, student registers and witness statements. The investigation concluded that the convict was born on May 22, 1988, making him just over fifteen years old at the time of the incident.

Relying on this age verification, the three-judge bench of Justices Ravindra Maithani and Ashish Naithani accepted that the convict was a juvenile in conflict with law when the crime occurred. The bench noted that although his involvement in the crime mirrored that of co-accused, the law governing juveniles prohibits sentencing a minor to life imprisonment.

“In cases involving juveniles, the law clearly states that corrective institutions and rehabilitation are the focus, and such offenders cannot be subjected to life sentences intended for adults,” the court observed in its order. It added that under the Juvenile Justice Act, a juvenile cannot be kept in correctional facilities beyond the prescribed period, and life imprisonment is not a legally permissible penalty for offences committed in childhood.

Our correspondent adds that the High Court retained the finding that the convict’s role in the offence was substantiated, but clarified that his conviction and punishment must be interpreted through the framework applicable to minors. Given that he had already served more than thirteen years in prison, the court concluded that his continued incarceration on that basis would be unlawful. Accordingly, it directed that he be released forthwith.

Legal experts say the court’s ruling reflects a pivotal application of juvenile justice principles even after a traditional conviction process has concluded. “This judgment upholds the rehabilitative spirit of juvenile justice law,” said a senior criminal law specialist. “It demonstrates that age-related claims must be fairly examined at any stage, including after conviction, especially when robust evidence supports the claim.”

The High Court emphasised that juveniles should be treated differently from adults in sentencing and correctional philosophy. It observed that parliament’s intention behind the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act is to enable reintegration of young offenders into society after rehabilitation, rather than to subject them to punitive sentences designed for adult criminals.

Family members of the convict welcomed the decision, saying they had maintained from the outset that he was a minor at the time of the offence. “We had faith in the judicial process,” said a relative. “He has spent his most formative years in prison. Today’s order gives him a chance to rebuild his life.”

Child rights advocates have also praised the judgment as reinforcing legal safeguards for minors in conflict with the law. They noted that the ability to raise age claims even after conviction plays a crucial role in preventing wrongful lifetime punishment for young offenders whose true age may not have been accurately recorded or considered at earlier stages of the case.

However, some public commentators have urged caution, suggesting that legal systems should ensure age verification at the earliest possible stages of inquiry to avoid prolonged litigation and uncertainty for victims’ families. Legal analysts note that accurate documentation and early intervention would support fair administration of justice for both accused and complainants.

The case underscores ongoing challenges in criminal justice systems dealing with age determination and highlights the importance of procedural safeguards to address age-related disparities. With evolving jurisprudence on juvenile justice, courts continue to balance legal rigour with rehabilitative mandates prescribed by statute.

Despite his release order, the convict’s name and personal details remain subject to legal privacy standards, and further procedures may follow to formalise his release under the supervision norms applicable to juvenile offenders.

spot_img
Dheeraj Joshi, VUK Correspondent
Dheeraj Joshi, VUK Correspondenthttps://voiceofuk.in/author/vku-correspondent/
Dheeraj reports on governance, public services, jobs, and regional developments across Uttarakhand. He specialises in recruitment news, public-sector updates, and civic issues that impact everyday citizens. His reporting brings accuracy, context, and a grassroots perspective to local journalism.
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -
Uttarakhand Government

Most Popular